Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 53 -- I'm Tryin'

Whenever I used to run into my West African friend, Roselyn, when I lived in Manhattan, I'd ask her how she was, like you do. Her answer was invariably, "I'm tryin.'"

I thought of Roselyn this morning. Hormones are conspiring against me, and it took a lot of willpower to get myself to class. The yoga room was HOT, despite my best hydration efforts. I worked hard to distance myself from emotions and self-judgment as class continued, but by the time we got to Rabbit pose, a bad attitude was setting in. I pushed it aside and kept breathing. Lying in final savasana, I didn't feel the payoff I usually get. That bummed me out.

The payoff came a few minutes later. I met another new student named Megan (and introduced her to Megan, Eva's aide, as well as Eva). Then we got to chat with veteran teachers Roxanne and Jen, both of whom were so very helpful and encouraging. Bless them. Once again, the yoga community saved my mood.

One week and eight classes to go. I see the light at the end of the tunnel; I just hope it's not a train. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment